As a rich source of vitamins, minerals and protein, chickpeas can be a great addition to your diet — especially at 19,000 feet. All of the snacks and meals you’ll enjoy while trekking are nutritionist-designed to re-energize your mind and body after a long day’s climb.
We’ve asked Thomson’s kitchen staff what they’ve been cooking up and these falafel bites really caught our attention. Not only are they easy to make — they’re delicious, nutritious and vegan, plus, they’re a guest favorite!
Falafel Bites Recipe
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3-5 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Drain chickpeas. Mash into a rough paste or put in a blender with a little water until the consistency is a rough paste.
- Add onions, garlic, cilantro, cumin, flour and black pepper. Mix well.
- Dust your hands with flour and roll mixture into balls (approx. 2 tbsp each).
- Heat oil in pan. Fry until falafel is golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley, serve and enjoy!