Once again summer has flown by and we find ourselves in the middle of September, wondering what happened. But as long as the warm air lingers, we’re going to continue to hold on to summer as best we can. And what better way to use some late summer produce than with a recipe straight from our Kilimanjaro kitchens!
This zucchini tempura with aioli dipping sauce can be made as an appetizer or a side dish alongside your favorite grilled dishes. It pairs best with stellar views of Uhuru Peak – but views of your own backyard or living room will work just as well!
Sliced Zucchini Tempura with Aioli
- 1 cup flour (any kind will do, but we recommend wheat)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- Fresh herbs to taste
- In a large bowl, add wheat flour, egg, and salt. Stir slowly while adding warm water. Continue stirring until the mixture is soft. It should not be too thick or too runny. Add water by the tablespoon if needed. Set aside for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Cut zucchini into round slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dip and fully coat each slice in the batter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Cook zucchini slices (4 – 6 at a time, depending on the size of your pan) until golden brown.
For the Aioli:
- Mix mayonnaise and grated garlic together in a bowl. Add herbs according to your taste or preference.
- Serve with the zucchini tempura as a dip or spread.