We’re working to improve the lives of Tanzanians every day
Thomson have been operating in Tanzania over 40 years. The country has given us so much, which is why we actively give back, both on Kilimanjaro and to the country at large.
Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project
- KPAP helps ensure porters receive fair wages.
- Through KPAP porters receive training that helps them advance their careers.
- Our involvement helps raise the standard for porter ethics across the board.
- Thomson’s porter practices have been developed based on input from porters and from KPAP.
- We match guest donations to KPAP with a $20 contribution.
Focus on Tanzanian Communities
In 1996, Thomson owner Judi Wineland formed Focus on Tanzanian Communities (FoTZC) with a group of former Thomson guests. The philanthropic organization works to support the most vulnerable Tanzanians:
- FoTZC focuses on education, women’s issues, and healthcare.
- Projects are chosen based on communities’ own assessment of their needs.
- To date over $1.3 million has been spent in rural Tanzanian communities.
- FoTZC has built schools and medical facilities, provided entrepreneurship training, and provided food aid during famines, among other projects.