Thomson set the standard for the treatment of porters on Kilimanjaro.
We are founding members of the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP), which establishes and monitors porter ethics to improve porter treatment industry-wide. The porters we work with receive some of the highest compensation packages in Tanzania.
Why is this important?
Porters play an integral role in making a Kilimanjaro trek run smoothly. They carry the majority of guest belongings and set up and break down each campsite. We deeply respect everything they do for our guests.
Unfortunately, poor treatment of porters is an epidemic on the mountain, where they’re regularly exploited by budget climbing outfits.
Thomson Safaris is an ethical employer:
- Exceptional compensation packages. With Thomson, porters earn top wages, bonuses, comprehensive benefits, advanced training, additional educational opportunities, and medical care for injuries that occur while climbing.
- Guaranteed payment. Full wages are guaranteed, even if porters must descend early.
- Financial incentives. Thomson porters receive financial incentives and move into leadership roles when they provide exceptional service.
- Proper equipment. Porters are provided with professional-grade all-weather uniforms, and Thomson ensures every porter has a hat, gloves, proper footwear, warm layers, and mountaineering glasses.
- Comfortable amenities. Porters are provided with custom-designed tents and closed-cell foam sleeping pads, as well as all meals on the mountain.
What else do we do?
We thank the porters every day for their help, but we like to set aside one special week just for them, too. Explore our videos, guest stories and behind-the-scenes work for Porter Appreciation Week.