The outfitter you choose makes a difference.
You can trust Thomson to get you safely up the mountain. We have the most rigorous safety protocols on Kilimanjaro:
No outfitter carries more medical and safety equipment than Thomson:
- Oxygen, AED (defibrillator), Gamow Bag, pulse oximeter, mountain-equipped litter, and more accompany every trek.
- Guides are certified Wilderness First Responders and trained to use all equipment.
- Guides can distinguish normal side-effects of altitude from potentially dangerous symptoms.
- Guides carry three types of mobile communication on Kilimanjaro.
Should you need to descend for any reason, Thomson will get you down the mountain safely:
- Step 1: ASSESS
Guides will determine the safest and fastest descent route.
- Step 2: NOTIFY
A call to base camp ensures appropriate medical attention (if needed) and accommodations will be ready.
- Step 3: DEPLOY
If necessary, guides will use Thomson’s extensive medical equipment to stabilize the guest.
- Step 4: DESCEND
A guide and a team of trained staff accompany the guest down the mountain.
Staying healthy on the mountain is key to summit success:
- Chefs are specially trained in hygienic food preparation.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables are washed only in purified water.
- Private toilet tents with hand sanitizer keep you healthy.
- Unlimited purified water is provided every day.