We take care of our porters like no other company, we are the first and only company on Kilimanjaro to provide all-weather uniforms to our porters. In addition, we provide the highest compensation packages, closed-cell foam sleeping pads, tented accommodations, transportation, hearty meals, and English/First Aid classes.
Gear checks guarantee that each porter has proper mountain footwear, sunglasses, sleeping bag, and warm hat, gloves and jacket. Extensive training in camp logistics ensures your comfort and the safe transportation of gear.
Here's more of what we do for our hard-working porters:
- We are the only company in Tanzania to provide all-weather uniforms (see photo below), heavy-duty waterproof ponchos and cold-weather sleeping mats for each of our porters.
- We provide each porter with tented sleeping accommodations.
- We pay the highest compensation packages on Kilimanjaro and guarantee salaries, even if a porter does not complete the trek due to sickness or injury.
- We provide a complete first-aid kit and treat our porters as we would our guests when they are sick or injured on the mountain.
- We respect the weight limits for porters as instructed by Kilimanjaro National Park.
- We provide annual professional first-aid training for our porters, including all costs (transport, accommodation, and meals) during the course.
In addition, we support the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP), a Tanzanian non-profit organization based at the foot of the mountain.
KPAP is a branch of the International Mountain Explorer's Connection, and is committed to improving the working conditions of porters.
HOW CAN YOU HELP SUPPORT PORTERS?
- 1. Donate to IMEC
and Thomson Safaris will match $20 of your pledge.
- 2. Support the Kilimanjaro Porter Assistance Project by making
any purchase at the Thomson Treks Kili Store, and Thomson Safaris
will donate all of its Kili Store proceeds to the project. http://treks.newheadings.com
- 3. Educate yourself. Read more on the IMEC.
David B., Western Approach Route
|"The porters should also be recognized for their tremendous effort. They all worked very hard to make sure we were comfortable, and they always had smiles on their faces. I could tell that Thomson took care of them; from what I could see they were better equipped than porters from other organizations. I was glad I chose Thomson when I saw that."|