Superior Safety Standards
Emergency Equipment & Safety Protocols
Your safety is our #1 priority. At Mt. Kilimanjaro’s high elevations, there’s no room for carelessness. On a Thomson trek you’ll have exactly who and what you need to reach the roof of Africa safely and comfortably.
English-speaking, Wilderness First Responder Guides with 100-200+ personal summits accompany you every step of the way. All your mountain guides are seasoned professional climbers who are experts in their field, and all are trained to recognize and treat everything from the first signs of altitude sickness to a stroke, heart attack, or serious spinal injury.
Guides carry an arsenal of emergency equipment (the most of any organization in Tanzania). Here are just a few of the safety devices that will accompany you up the mountain:
- Gamow Bag
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Emergency Oxygen
- Pulse Oximeters
- Three types of mobile communication
Health & Hygiene Protocols
Staying healthy is imperative to reaching the summit; on your trek, you’ll have:
- Chefs trained in hygienic food preparation and preparing food for restricted diets (vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, kosher, and more can be provided with advance notice)
- Unlimited purified water from the revolutionary PUR system
- Private toilet tents to keep you healthy and clean throughout the climb
- Solar-lit dining tents with tables and comfortable chairs to get you out of the wind and help you relax.
- Customized, mountaineering-grade sleeping tents with upgraded zipper systems, flysheets with vestibule, and a full ground mat to keep you and your gear dry (a must if you’re going to get all the sleep you need to reach the summit)