Here are some things you'll need to take care of before departing:
1. Booking Forms - Please call or email us for booking forms (800-235-0289 / Info@ThomsonTreks.com). Upon receipt of completed forms (fax/email), we will secure space for your trip.
2. Final Payment - Payment is due at 90 days prior to departure (120 days for December trips), so final payment for last minute bookings is made in two business days via bank check or wire transfer.
3. Valid Passport - Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from your return date. If not, you'll want to have it renewed immediately. You can do this for a fee at most US Post Offices.
4. Tanzania Visa - You'll need a Tanzania tourist visa, and we'll provide you with all those instructions. If you are booking within 60 days of the safari, you can just get your visa upon arrival at the airport in Tanzania $100(USD).
5. No Required Vaccinations - There are no medical requirements for entry into Tanzania, but the vast majority of our guests get anti-malarial pills and a yellow fever vaccination.
Talk to your travel doctor about what immunizations or medications might be appropriate for you. If you're not sure where to find a travel doctor, most major hospitals have a travel clinic.
6. Travel Insurance - We do recommend that all our guests purchase travel insurance, and we can confidently recommend Travel Guard.
We've had great feedback from our guests about their services, and include their brochure in our information packet. To have a preliminary look at their coverage options, go to Travel Guard.
7. Packing List - Your predeparture specialist will send you a detailed packing list, so don't worry about what to bring. If you are a hiker, you probably have everything already. Don't forget that your most important item is a pair of comfortable, waterproof boots with good traction and ankle support. You must break them in if they are new!
Also remember that you can rent gear from us.
8. Duffel Bag - You will need to have a simple, soft-sided bag for your belongings; hard suitcases, bags with wheels and/or extra straps (like a backpack) are NOT permitted.
If you do not have a duffel bag, we can recommend the XL Soft-sided Duffel.
9. Flights / Seat Assignments - If Thomson Safaris is arranging your flights, please make sure to read the Flight Information section of your predeparture booklet including instructions for making your seat assignments with Delta / KLM.
10. Money - All of your major expenses are covered in your Trek or Trek & Safari. Tipping your guides and camp staff is optional and is not included. Tipping suggestions vary by trip, but your predeparture specialist can help you with those estimates.
Credit cards are only accepted in larger hotels/shops, so you will also want to bring some cash for souvenirs, bar beverages, phone calls, etc.during your time off the mountain. US Dollars are accepted everywhere, and smaller bills are always appreciated. Your predeparture booklet will give you more specific information.